Erin Nayler, Class of '09 Football Fern (Goalkeeper), NZ International
Wednesday, 1 July 2020
Football Fern (Goalkeeper), NZ International

Erin Nayler was one of many sporting fans celebrating recently when NZ and Australia were announced as co-hosts for the FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2023. She is pictured here (left) with fellow Football Ferns Annalie Longo and Hannah Wilkinson.

Erin played football throughout her Westlake years, and her father was also a Westlake football coach. She received sporting honours and played in the NZ Secondary School team in her senior years. After graduating in 2009, she had a year studying and playing at Indiana-Purdue University, Fort Wayne, Indiana.

She says, ‘My time at Westlake Girls was very memorable and it was where I really started to progress my football career. I was selected for the NZ Secondary School Team which travelled to Australia. This was the start of my pathway into the national team selections. I have great memories at Westlake Girls and the education there helped shape the person I am today. From the incredible teachers to the lifelong friends I made in the classroom and on the football field'.

Erin made her international début in 2013 and played in World Cup campaigns in 2015 and 2019. After the 2016 Rio Olympic campaign, when she was the starting goal-keeper, Erin headed to France to play, initially in Lyon, then in Bordeaux.

She returned to NZ when the Covid-19 pandemic cut the season short, and spent Lockdown training  in Northland.

Erin has studied part-time for a BSc in Biological Sciences at Massey University, fitting the studies around her international career. She is also currently completing a Diploma in Health Sciences from the NZ Naturopathy College.

She hopes to soon resume playing in the Northern Hemisphere as she has signed for an English club, but hopes she can return to NZ play as a Football Fern.

Erin Nayler at the 2019 World Cup in France.