Julia Parfitt re-elected onto the Hibiscus and Bays Local Board
Sunday, 1 October 2023
Julia Parfitt (class of 79) was re-elected onto the Hibiscus and Bays Local Board in the recent local government elections in October 2022. She is a lifelong Shore resident and has extensive experience in advocating for and being involved with a wide range of community groups and projects on the Shore.  

Julia was at Westlake in the late 60's and completed her final year at Rangitoto College. She subsequently trained as a primary teacher and taught and was then a Board member at Northcross Intermediate.   

Her impressive career in local government started with North Shore City where she was a Councillor and Deputy Mayor. She is a long-serving member of the Hibiscus and Bays Board and is the current Deputy Chair.   

Reflecting on Westlake, Julia says, 'At Westlake Girls I had Helen Ryburn as my fifth form History teacher. She was an inspirational, no nonsense teacher and the next year she went on to become our principal. We later became good friends serving on the East Coast Bays Community Board and North Shore City Council together. 
I was privileged to give a eulogy at her funeral on behalf of her former students. She possibly inspired me to put my name forward to serve on the Student Council in my 6th form year. She certainly encouraged us to think about the importance of politics and the effects, both adverse and positive, it could have on people's lives.   

Since leaving Westlake Girls I have continued to have a good relationship with the school. I was extremely pleased to be invited to a number of functions and in particular to the inaugural function for the new principal Jane Stanley'.